Before I could create an effective information architecture or copy, I needed to understand the product that was being built, as well as the client’s goals.
To do that, I conducted a strategy workshop where we discussed the tool, how it would work, why it would benefit users, who would be using it, and more.
During these discussions, I learned that the tool would benefit a variety of target audiences, including forensic accountants, law enforcement, those who work in protective services, and even families who were victims of financial exploitation crimes.
Knowing we had to speak to so many different audiences with different needs, I decided to conduct one-on-one interviews with a few members from each of the aforementioned groups.
Doing so allowed me to get a better sense of each cohort, from their day-to-day lives to their styles of communication, work-related goals, challenges, and so much more.
After completing the interviews, I had Matt take me through the product wireframes so I could understand the user experience and exactly how the tool would work.
This helped me bridge the gap between the pre and post-conversion experience which was taken into account as I moved on to the next step: creating the information architecture for the marketing site.